8 Types of Travellers You’ll Meet on the Road

by Michelle on February 21, 2011 · 33 comments

Similar to the unfortunate abundance of self-obsessed hipsters readily found in art schools, to the socially awkward and perpetually single accountants at any given corporate firm, you are likely to meet travellers who also fall into very distinct categories when backpacking. While most travellers tend to be fun individuals, there are also the ones that you try to avoid at all costs. Here is my list of some of the most common types of travellers on the road.

How many have you met?

Mr. Aspiring Underwear Model
This is the guy who happens to be blessed with good genetics but unfortunately flaunts it off whenever possible by walking around the hostel sans shirt. They seem to have a great hatred toward shirts in general as they have a never-ending list of excuses to take it off whenever possible. These might include the hot weather, being too drunk, or that all their clothes are in the laundry. Their shirtlessness is obviously to make other male travelers feel self-conscious of the state of their own abs, and for them to sleep with as many girls as possible. Verdict: avoid whenever possible; Very bad specimen.
_______________________________________________________________________________

The Stoner/Hippie/Bob Marley Fan
Usually Canadian, Swiss, or South African, these guys are often seen wearing a bandana, or sport dreadlocks. Although they may smell a bit funky, they are really laid-back and enjoy spending all their nights getting high on the patio of the hostel, listening to Bob Marley, or playing music on their guitar. They have a deep disdain for anything corporate and would like to think of their travels as a journey for spiritual or self enlightenment.

The Instant Best Friend
You will know you’ve met this traveler because five minutes after meeting, they will already have your cell number, e-mail, Skype username, and sent a Facebook friend request your way. This “instant friendship” is usually a result of being from the same country or happening to be traveling in the exact route as one another. Proceed to spend every waking moment with this person until you are finally able to rid of them by packing and switching to another hostel in the middle of the night. In other cases, you two might end up as life-long best friends.

The Creepy Old Man
This is the significantly older man who speaks very little English, and seems to be permanently living in the hostel. You don’t understand why they enjoy being in the company of rowdy 20-something backpackers and gives you a creepy feeling when you are in the room alone with them. They are usually seen late at night lurking in the bar downstairs, and while you have never caught them in the act, you’ve heard enough “old man with video camera in a dark hostel room with girls” stories to request for a room change immediately.
_______________________________________________________________________________

The Pair in Love
There are two types of couples: the existing couple who decided to travel together and the ones who met on the road. The former tend to argue constantly and usually result in a break-up after cheating on one another for the suave Frenchman or the sexy Brazilian. (They will make-up before returning home). The latter are not seen very frequently as they are hidden somewhere, most likely indulging in hot sex somewhere in the hostel or sharing a milkshake on a street-side cafe.
_______________________________________________________________________________

The Hot Foreigner Who Doesn’t Speak Your Language
You spot each other from afar and instantly felt a connection. When the opportunity finally comes to talk to each other, you are mortified that neither of you understands what the other is trying to say. This will usually lead to a never-ending game of charades and possibly some heated make-out sessions as you curse yourself for not learning Swedish/Icelandic/Afrikaans, etc in high school.
_______________________________________________________________________________

The Traveler Who Shouldn’t be Traveling

They are often always seen alone and for good reason. They seem to have no sense of geography or basic history and are the ones who confuse Austria with Australia.  Having not done any research, they will also frequently ask to borrow your voltage converter and map of the city. They also constantly complain about how expensive everything is, while racking up enormous internet bills by Skyping with friends back home, presumably telling them how much fun they’re having.

_______________________________________________________________________________
The Gap Yearers
Usually British, Irish, Australian, or Canadian, these travelers are commonly found in groups of four or more, with the sole traveling purpose of getting wasted every night. They permanently smell of booze and their drunken singing can be heard in every room in the hostel. While they can be annoying for the still jet-lagged traveller, they never stay at one place for too long, opting for a new party destination every few days or so. If you enjoy a good party, you’re in luck as they tend to be a friendly bunch and will embrace you with open arms. Just be sure you can handle your alcohol as they will try to drink you under the table.

Princess and the Pea February 21, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Oh the hot foreigner who does not speak my language… and somehow it makes them all the hotter!

Michelle (Confessed Travelholic) February 21, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Haha it's true! Annnnd….it's a good excuse to learn a new language :)

Jenna February 22, 2011 at 3:32 am

I love this!… I found an Afrikaans boy and it has lasted three years :) Gotta love the accent haha. And, in my travels, I have seen all of the above, whether you love them or you hate them, almost everyone you meet while travelling can be plopped into one of the above categories!

I'm loving this blog more and more :)

xoxo
Jenna

C February 22, 2011 at 4:25 am

Awesome post! I wish I had spent more time traveling before now. I've been to all 50 of the United States, but aside from a brief jaunt to Canada, have no out-of-country experience.

Andrew Minnick February 22, 2011 at 10:16 am

My hostel experiences are relegated to New Zealand, but still, you're right on.

Ryan February 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Too funny, but all true.

a girl who dreams February 22, 2011 at 11:50 pm

haha. I love this! It's so true.

a girl who dreams
agirlwhodreams.com

Red Nomad OZ February 23, 2011 at 5:08 am

Haha! Of course I've met all of them over the years … but did you know there's a 'Grey Nomad' version of each of them as well?? Who says traveller clichea are just for the young!!

Michelle (Confessed Travelholic) February 23, 2011 at 10:27 am

Jenna – yes, I've been keeping up with your blog as well! I love your stories and think you two are so cute! plus it doesn't hurt that South Africans are quite the attractive bunch :)

C- It's great that you've travelled all over your country – I've never met anyone who has been to all 50 states! I should do that more since I've only been in 2 (out of 10) provinces in Canada!

Andrew – You'll definitely find travellers from all over in NZ :)

Ryan – Thanks!

A Girl Who Dreams – Yes, hope you encountered the better ones on the list! :)

Red Nomad OZ – ahh the Grey Nomad…you're right! I have met some pretty cool older folks. They always have lots of stories to share about their years of travels :)

badtraveler February 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm

This is very accurate. Haha I relate way to much to the traveler who shouldn't be traveling :D
I did that with skype :D

Rita ♥ February 26, 2011 at 7:59 am

this is so funny!! I have a South African too…ahahah they are quite fun!! :)

Michelle (Confessed Travelholic) February 26, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Rita – lucky!!!!!

Mollie February 28, 2011 at 3:19 am

I think the last group are kids on their "Gap Yah". A funny comedy UK group did a video

Found you on the sunday comment love hop

crazy sexy fun traveler March 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I always have a laugh at your posts :) The first bad specimen is very frequent, and good to look at much better than the old traveler or the high guy) at least …
I've come across all of them, but would not hang out with many :D

Kai Elan March 6, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I see a bit of myself in some of these kinds of travelers, and it made me laugh out loud. Good job on coordinating this. I actually wrote some blogs about my adventures in Australia, if you wanted to check them out.

Evgueni March 29, 2011 at 9:55 pm

hahaha so true!!!!
this is great

Karie April 12, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I just found your blog today and I love it so far. I'm doing some research before traveling on my own. I'm thinking next Spring. I love this kind of information. I've read the books etc. but they don't talk about THIS kind of stuff. Love it. Though, I'm afraid I'll end up being the traveler that doesn't need to be traveling. Ha!

Nomadic Samuel July 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm

This was a very entertaining read. I can relate especially to the creepy old man category. Once when I was in Salta, Argentina an old man who spoke hardly a word of English came into the dorm at night and stripped down to nothing without covering himself up with a blanket. It wasn't the kind of peep show my friend and I had in mind!

Micamyx|Senyorita July 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm

OMG so true! I love this list haha my favorite is the 'The Hot Foreigner Who Doesn't Speak Your Language' part. Thank God there is body language =))

My first time here and i am a new fan! :D

TRAVELER July 16, 2011 at 1:42 am

I think we should give the old guys a break. I am a travel junky I will beg borrow or steal to travel. I have overdrafted my checking account $2000 and maxed out my cards so i could continue traveling. I am scared that I might become that old guy some day because I love traveling so freakin much woooohooooo

TRAVELER July 16, 2011 at 1:51 am

TRAVELER July 16, 2011 at 1:54 am

Anonymous August 2, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Hahahaaha…..so funny. But I did not meet the Stoner/Hippie/Bob Marley guy in my travels. I met him and his band of merry men at University. they were constantly stoned every time I saw them.

LORENA September 3, 2011 at 12:53 am

I 've met a few of these type but DAMN where can I find that first one?? Hello. LoL

TravelDesignery.com

chino September 9, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Great post ! I have not met The Stoner/Hippie/Bob Marley Fan yet.

Mark September 23, 2011 at 1:45 am

hahaha! i was laughing while reading your post. they're all true, though some of them are kinda stereotypical.

Travel Club November 17, 2011 at 5:06 am

haha amazing writing

Anonymous November 17, 2011 at 6:47 am

nice blog!

keep it up!

Colleen Brynn October 15, 2012 at 10:34 pm

This is great… hahaha….
My favourites are definitely the Creepy Old Man, The Hot Foreigner Who Doesn’t Speak Your Language (Polish/Arabic/Turkish/Italian etc etc etc!!!) and Traveller Who Shouldn’t Be Traveling.

So true!

Birte January 8, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Hahahaha!

I’ve met the first one a lot in Cairo! That’s quite funny because it’s not so usual to find topless men/women in public there. But once inside the hostel there are countless white Western men just in shorts :O

I used to make jokes about them so I’m very delighted to find them here as a category.

Izy Berry June 12, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Haha, this is way, way way way too funny! I’ve definitely met a few of these on my travels.

AATravel January 25, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Had so much fun reading this post….while reading you can really see this people and how it would be to hang out with them.

Jamie @ The Inspired Globetrotter February 18, 2014 at 2:01 am

That was a sweet list Michelle!
Had me right from the start with the faux underwear model haha.
As an Aussie I can definitely relate to the gap years one and also the weird stoner guy, those two have been the most prevalent on my travels so far.

I am always aware of the instant best friend, they are the real crazies

Great post….even though it was a while ago

Jamie