French Lessons

by Michelle on June 9, 2011 · 7 comments

After being in Paris for two days, here’s the extent of the French I’ve used:

“Bonjour!”
“Merci” et “merci beaucoup”
“Je ne parle pas Francais”
“Je ne comprende pas”
“Parlez-vous Anglais?”
“Non?”
“Oui! Oui!”
“Shit…I mean, merde!” (I try to fit in)
“Haben Sie ein…oh wait, wrong language….”

As you can see, I should be fluent in French in no time.

Something interesting I find is that I’ve been getting a lot of French people coming up to me and asking for directions. While my reply is never very helpful (given in a mixture of English, French and German words, leaving them completely confused), I find it quite exciting to think that so many people have mistaken me to be a local. If you can’t speak it, look the part i guess!

Kellie June 10, 2011 at 12:52 am

Great blog!! Im a travelholic as well and reading this makes me want to jump on the next plane out of here!! :) If you like travel stories feel free to check out my blog at

Brenna June 10, 2011 at 5:15 am

MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT being mistaken for French. awesome.

Miriam June 10, 2011 at 7:33 am

Haha love this post. Came bacj from French class yesterday and all I thought was, c'est difficile. Time to practice! :)

Red Nomad OZ June 10, 2011 at 7:54 am

Haha! I learned how to say 'what's for dessert' in French many years ago – I still think it's probably one of the most useful phrases I've ever learned!

Rita ♥ June 15, 2011 at 7:08 am

Oui French can be quite difficult but I love to listen to it. Trés Bien! :)

french November 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Your blog about is really awesome.Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I like french language .French language is romance language. I like French culture, tradition, french food etc . Last summer I have visited France as well as I have visited French restaurant. I have enjoyed French food very much.

kirsty August 2, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Haha I have been mistaken for French, German, and Spanish, even though all 3 times I was at school! (I’m from England, and I’m posting all over the place on this! XD)