I’m moving to Germany!

by Michelle on May 8, 2012 · 33 comments

Ludwigshafen – Photo cred: www.zschach.net

Ever since January, I felt like my plans for this fall have been up in the air. I knew I have to move to Europe, but I had no idea when, or where. I love surprises, but sometimes uncertainty can be slightly nerve-racking. The question came down to, Germany or the UK?

I applied for a teaching position in Germany, which was my first choice. I loved Germany when I was there last summer, and it seemed fitting to live there, after studying the language for several years in uni, and having tons of friends in the country (and surrounding countries!).

My back-up plan to move to London didn’t seem too bad either, with my plan to pursue my art and look for gallery work in one of the world’s largest art meccas. The art scene, fashion culture, and exciting nightlife is also a plus!

Luckily, I got my answer Friday morning, when I received an e-mail announcing that I have successfully  been chosen to teach at a gymnasium (German equivalent of a high school) in Ludwigshafen…

I’M MOVING TO GERMANY!!!!!!

It’s a small town, but it’s just across the river from Mannheim, and about 30 minutes away from Heidelberg! And so, in about three months, I’ll be packing my bags once more to begin the first chapter of my exciting new European life!

Wandergirl May 8, 2012 at 4:29 am

I just stumbled across your blog now, but I already look forward to reading about your life in Germany! I lived in London for nearly a year, which was AMAZING, and since then I’ve just been itching to get back to Europe too (fellow Canadian here, btw!).Congrats on the job!

Michelle Michelle May 8, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Thanks! Where in Canada are you from? If you go back to Europe, you can always stop by in Germany for a visit :) Going to check out your blog as well! :)

Red Nomad OZ May 8, 2012 at 9:48 am

Wow! That sounds like a life-changing event! Look forward to reading about the next phase in your life!! All the best!!

Michelle Michelle May 8, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Thanks Red! It definitley will be!!

Annette | Bucket List Journey May 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I just returned from London and loved it, but I have never been to Germany. I can’t wait to read about your adventures there!

Michelle Michelle May 8, 2012 at 3:26 pm

London sounds amazing! I’m thinking of going there for a week or so before I arrive in Germany. And thanks! Going to check out your adventures as well :)

Phil May 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Oh wow, you actually did it, congratulations! :D While I’d recommend Hamburg or Düsseldorf over Ludwigshafen, you will sure have fun there too! All the best too you!!

Maybe we’ll see at the end of August. ;-)

Michelle Michelle May 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Haha, well they choose which location I’ll be teaching at…because I’ve never heard of Ludwigshafen before I got my offer letter! But I’m sure it will be great, and I’ve always wanted to go to Heidelberg!

Marc May 9, 2012 at 5:40 am

Congratulations Michelle! :D

Michelle Michelle May 10, 2012 at 4:43 am

Thanks!

Audrey | That Backpacker May 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm

That’s so exciting! I did my minor in German Studies in university and considered doing the teaching exchange program they run, so I’m pumped for you!!! :D I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time! I’ve been near the area you’re going to and it is beautiful!

Michelle Michelle May 10, 2012 at 4:46 am

Thanks!! Im really happy that my uni has SOO many opportunities for traveling and working abroad after graduation! I can’t wait to go! :D

Robert May 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm

It sound amazing!!! good luck for you new life in Germany!! Look forward to your posts!!

Michelle Michelle May 14, 2012 at 3:12 pm

thanks Robert! :)

Tania May 12, 2012 at 6:34 am

Congratulations! I’m so happy for you! I remember you mentioned it when I had emailed you and told you about how I’m moving to Spain.. Very exciting! :)

Michelle Michelle May 14, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Tania!! Yes, I do remember that! When are you moving to Spain? :)

Ali May 12, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Congratulations! Sounds like an amazing experience :)

Michelle Michelle May 14, 2012 at 3:13 pm

thanks Ali! :)

Charlotte May 16, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hi! Just stumbled across your blog while doing research for my job (I work for the Goethe-Institut in Prague, and I needed some “fun facts about Germany” for a publicity campaign to motivate kids to learn German – hope it’s okay if I “steal” some of yours)

Randomly saw this post and thought that the world is a small place! May I ask which gymnasium in Ludwigshafen you will go too? Because I went to school in Ludwigshafen and graduated from Theodor Heuss in 2006!

Michelle Michelle May 17, 2012 at 3:31 am

Hey Charlotte!

Yes feel free to use any of the facts! And it is a small world! :) I’ll be teaching at Heinrich-Böll. Are you are familiar with that one?

Charlotte May 17, 2012 at 7:16 am

I’ve heard the name, but that’s about it. Anyway, enjoy your stay in Ludwigshafen- if you have any questions about the city, life in Germany… feel free to ask! (can you see my E-Mail-address when I leave a comment?)

Michelle Michelle May 18, 2012 at 2:34 am

Yes I do! And thanks! I’ll def have lots of questions about the city once I’m there :)

Andrew May 28, 2012 at 10:38 am

Welcome to Germany (soon anyway). Being an expat here is a bit of a challenge, but amazing nonetheless. Mannheim is a pretty decent sized city and has a great rail hub. Definitely get out of town on the weekends an explore the area.

Michelle Michelle May 28, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh I definitely will! Can’t wait! :)

Ryan May 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Hey Michelle, just came across your blog today and it is great! I’m also a Canadian who loves to travel (I’ve backpacked around Europe for 3 months) I look forward to reading more about you living in Germany, as I will also be in Prague, Czech Republic for exchange as a part of my university program in January.

Michelle Michelle May 29, 2012 at 3:05 am

Thanks Ryan! Your trip to Czech sounds so exciting…I’ve always wanted to go there! Let me know when you’re in Europe and maybe we’ll cross paths! :)

Gode June 4, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Hi, just found your very intressting blog and read that you are moving to ludwigshafen… Here is a tip from a local: don’t ever think about going out all alone at night in ludwigshafen, very dangerous. Try to find a flat or communé in mannheim (especially jungbusch and neckarstadt are very colorful) and you will find friends instantly. But i think my concerns are nonsense as you are a very confident person :) good luck und herzlich willkommen

Michelle Michelle June 5, 2012 at 3:02 am

Hey! Thanks for your advice! :) I am definitely planning on living in Mannheim instead…it looks a lot more fun, and the commute doesn’t seem very long either! :)

shelly August 28, 2012 at 11:12 am

hi i am planing on moving to Germany after Christmas from Ireland cant wait to move and meet new people :D wish you all the best

Michelle Michelle August 29, 2012 at 8:20 pm

thanks! :) where in germany are you moving to?

Johannes September 17, 2012 at 10:14 am

Welcome to Germany! Just found your blog and I applaud your decision to move here! I live in a small town 70 km north of Mannheim called Bad Kreuznach (there is nothing “bad” about it, it is our system to denote that it is a spa town). I hope you find friends and have lots of fun while staying here.

Johannes

Michelle Michelle September 19, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Thanks!! :) Yea I’ve noticed that lots of small German towns seem to be called “Bad” something, haha.

Suvadyuti Majumder May 3, 2013 at 5:55 am

Came across your page via a link from Facebook . Really cannot help envying you, since it was my long standing dream, to someday go and settle in Germany, and get to know the Germans firsthand ! I really do like their spirit and their mentality !!!
All the best to you and your stay in Germany !
SDM