Cat cafes have come to Germany!

by Michelle on February 16, 2014 · 24 comments

IMG_2026

The first time I heard about those cafe cafes in Japan, I was already planning my trip to Japan (which will no doubt be filled with lots of sushi eating, cat cafe visiting and dancing with Harajuku Girls)

Unfortunately flights to Japan aren’t the cheapest and I had to settle for just looking wistfully at other people’s stories on their travel blogs about going to cat cafes in various places in Asia – Japan, Taiwan, Korea etc.

So imagine my excitement when I heard that cat cafes have finally arrived in Europe! I too, can finally sip a latte while having cute cats climb onto my lap.

How purrrrfect!

kitty

IMG_2025

I don’t know what brought the cat cafe phenomena out of Asia but they seem to be popping up everywhere! The first cat cafe actually started in Taiwan in 1998, so it definitely took a while for this trend to take off…but last year, they’ve opened cat cafes in Vienna, Paris, Budapest, and most excitingly, in Munich and Berlin! There’s also cat cafes set to open in London, California, Montreal and Vancouver… (next time I’m back home in Canada, I’m so going to be in Montreal!)

The cat cafe in Munich is called Cafe Katzentempel and they have 6 cats, all of which came from breeders who didn’t want them anymore because they weren’t considered purrrrfect (hehe couldn’t resist saying that again). I find this only makes the cats in this cafe more unique, like the one cat that only has one leg, or this strange but lovely beauty…

IMG_2019

They serve both drinks and food, however they only serve vegan food, which I don’t have much love for. Then again, no one really goes to a cat cafe for food do they? Especially when there are cute cats to play with!

IMG_1996

IMG_1998

One thing I didn’t like about Katzentempel was the set up…rather than couches and open spaces I would imagine cat cafes to have, the room was crowded with tables and chairs like they would in a restaurant. This didn’t give the cats too much room to freely move around, and with all the crowd and noise, the cats spent most of the time hiding in the hallway close to the washrooms.

IMG_2030

IMG_2007

IMG_2009

Overall, I do like Katzentempel enough to go back, but I don’t think it really satisfied my cat cafe experience. Luckily, I’m going to Berlin sometime soon, so I’ll have to drag my friend to the cat cafe there. I also saw some photos of the cat cafe that’s opening in Montreal, and they seem to have tons of cats at that one!

"Meow meeow meow meeeow"

“Meow meeow meow meeeow”

"shhhh A HUMAN IS HERE!!"

“shhhh A HUMAN IS HERE!!”

Have you guys ever been to a cat cafe?

Jacqueline February 17, 2014 at 1:31 am

What a cool idea! This is literally my idea of heaven. So.many.cats!

Michelle Michelle February 17, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Yea it’s great! :D I think every city should have one!

Istria Outside My Window February 17, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I’ve been following this trend of cat cafes in the news, but haven’t had a chance to visit any. Glad to hear Montreal is gettting a kitty cafe too!

Michelle Michelle February 20, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I don’t watch the news much in Germany, but that’s cool that they’re getting so much publicity! I think the one in Montreal has opened…let me know how it is if you visit! :)

Mike February 17, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Oh wow, I had never heard of cat cafes until reading your post! What a cool idea especially for all of us animal lovers in the world. That last picture made me laugh like they were up to something just as you implied. It’s been many years since I took German and I went to their website. I see that they have very strict rules for patrons regarding the cats and that is good. From what I could figure out it looks like they have some yummy salads, soups and pasta dishes. Sorry, you know what a foodie I am lol! Can’t wait for your next post when you have time, Michelle! :)

Michelle Michelle February 20, 2014 at 3:23 pm

That’s so cool that you still remember enough German to read their website! :) Once I don’t use a language for a few years, I forget it completely. Haha and of course you’d check out the menu :) I think you’d be happy to know that they have dog cafes as well! Hopefully that’s another trend that will be brought to Europe/N.America as well! :D

Elisa February 18, 2014 at 8:23 pm

The cats are really cute, but somehow the concept of eating and drinking with cats all around creeps me out… what a funky concept! It seems fitting that it originated in Japan :-)

Michelle Michelle February 20, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Haha, yea I can see it being a bit creepy if there were tons of cats. This one only has 6 though, and its a big place, so you don’t even notice them unless you go looking for them! :P And yea, they think of the craziest things in Japan…they even have a goat cafe there!

Milly May 30, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Goat Café!? Cool! But, one question, wouldn’t they poop every where inside?

Molly S February 19, 2014 at 9:09 am

Awww, cute! I think there’s a cat cafe opened in London now, so next time I’m down there I want to go. I agree, though – you need sofas and armchairs and a more relaxed atmosphere to get the full benefit!

Michelle Michelle February 20, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Yes, hopefully the one in London will have that concept!! Let me know how it is! :D

andreea February 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Oh this is such an awesome idea. I had no idea there are such cat cafes. I loves cats so I am going to try and find one in my area.

Michelle Michelle February 20, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Where are you from? It seems like they’re popping up everywhere so I’m sure it’s not too hard to find one near you :)

Ashley @ A Southern Gypsy February 19, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I love this idea – we need these here! Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler :)

Michelle Michelle February 20, 2014 at 3:27 pm

No prob! Your link up is such a cool idea :) And hopefully there’s one opening in your area sometime soon!

Monika Sharma February 20, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hi Michelle, interesting post about Cats :) I love to much this meeeow meeeow…. & meeeow so much :) :) :)

Michelle Michelle February 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Thanks! :) hopefully you’ll get to check out out!

Samantha @mytanfeet February 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm

My friend will love this…animal cafes are getting more popular and I’m happy they are ! Although I am very allergic to cats so I might steer away from these ones…

Michelle Michelle February 25, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Awww that sucks! They also have dog cafes in Asia so maybe those will catch on in North America/Europe as well! :)

Jess February 22, 2014 at 5:19 am

Oh my gosh, all the kitties. I would totally take a trip just to pet them! I wish I lived in a place with a cat cafe – let’s hope the idea spreads even more.

Michelle Michelle February 25, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Cat cafes do seem to be popping up everywhere rapidly, so maybe there will be one in your area by the end of the year :D

Helly May 11, 2014 at 9:35 am

hey there. i love how cat cafes have finally arrived in germany but as a german girl living in shanghai ive gotta say i still preffer the cat cafe here in shanghai!

Michelle Michelle May 14, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Haha yes I can imagine them to be a lot better! :P You’re so lucky to be living in Shanghai…sounds like such a fun place to be!

Milly May 30, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Cool! Dog and Cat cafes! Whoo! :)
Wish they would come out with a horse café… lol! :) I enjoy reading your blog/website!! :)