The Anatomy of a Backpacker

by Michelle on March 25, 2014 · 12 comments

It’s sometimes easy to spot a backpacker from miles away. They have the same clothes they’ve been wearing for days, a tan from all the time spent outdoors and a large backpack that’s somehow capable of fitting their entire life inside of. Some think they’re crazy, others think they’re the coolest people they’ve met.

Do you describe yourself as a backpacker? Here’s my illustrated guide…how many of these items do you agree with?

backpacker

Not pictured: a love for adventure and the great outdoors, a curiosity to see the world, a tattoo in a very discreet place, and an empty wallet but a camera brimming of memories.

Agness March 26, 2014 at 8:33 am

That’s a picture of Agness :D!

Michelle Michelle March 27, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Haha, right on! :D

Mike March 27, 2014 at 3:30 am

This was great, Michelle! I used to backpack and camp alllll of the time with a buddy. We were both volunteers in Search and Rescue and it was a combination of recreatiion and training. I still have elite mountaineering backpack and all of the gear and clothing. I could definitely do well if dropped off in the woods with nothing. But, I no longer have the desire to do that. How about you? Do you backpack a lot? Great picture btw… :)

Michelle Michelle March 27, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Thanks Mike! :D Wow, search and rescue! that sounds like such an adventure! It kind of reminds me of that recent missing Malaysian flight and thinking how amazing of a job it would be to be part of that search team! I try to although a lot of my trips recently are more weekend getaways to some city in Europe. Would love to rough it a bit once it’s warmer and go backpacking again! :)

Elisa March 27, 2014 at 5:41 am

That is an awesome illustration! I’m not a backpacker, but I do have my own bible(s) (I prefer Eyewitness Travel to Lonely Planet) and I’m really glad you posted this because it helps me understand backpacking. As I said, it’s not my cup of tea, but I don’t think backpackers are crazy. Travel is an amazing experience, and everyone does it their way, and there is no wrong or right way IMO.

No wait, there IS a wrong way: it’s those cruises where you visit 20 cities in 2 weeks. I hate that whole “fast-food travel” concept.

Michelle Michelle March 27, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Thanks Elisa! :) I’ve heard good things about Eyewitness Travel! I own a few Lonely Planet guides but my fav is actually a series called “Let’s Go”…I have the Australian edition and it was great!

I totally agree with you! I’ve never been on a cruise before actually for that reason. Plus I’ve just never understood the concept of “travelling” when most of your time is spent on a boat!!

Shaun March 27, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Do I really stick out that much? hah. I agree with all of it except for the oasis reference. To be candid, I hate their music. I do have a big love of maps though, I don’t get tired from staring at them.

Michelle Michelle March 27, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Hey Shaun! Haven’t seen you around in a while! :) Haha I don’t love all their songs, but Wonderwall will always remain special since it reminds me of when I was in Australia and during those late nights drinking out on the patios, someone always plays this song and I love how no matter what country you’re from, everyone knows the lyrics! And yes! Handing me a world map is dangerous haha! :P

ben April 1, 2014 at 5:15 am

HAHAH This is great! :) I like the glowing sunkissed tan.

Michelle Michelle April 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Thanks! :) And haha, yes that’s one of the benefits from travelling too much :P

Steve April 7, 2014 at 6:08 pm

haha nice! did you draw this yourself?

Michelle Michelle April 8, 2014 at 1:30 pm