The colourful villages of Cinque Terre!

by Michelle on June 3, 2014 · 14 comments

photo-40

Cinque Terre, located on the Italian Riviera, is hands down, one of my favourite places in Europe, if not the world! The word itself is Italian for “five villages” and consists of just that! Well they’re not just any villages, but five of the most stunning, picturesque villages you’ll ever visit. These include: Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore.

Since the villages are only a few minutes apart by train, “village hopping” really easy and you can definitely visit all five in a day or pace yourself and spend days, weeks, even months there!

The easiest way of getting there is from Pisa, where a train is only an hour away and costs around 8 euros. But I’ll explain more about the practicalities concerning Cinque Terre in my next post.

And now for some photos!!

photo 3-20000

10268493_741515882538023_4817471125789396535_n

A funny thing that happened was that the night before we checked the weather forecast, it said that it was going to be warm and sunny so we had on shorts and t-shirts expecting beach weather, only to get to Cinque Terre, where it was cold and looked like it was going to pour any minute.

Luckily while we were in the tourist office getting our train schedules, they also sold some long sleeve shirts, which we ended up buying….they totally saved us from the cold since without them I don’t know how we’d manage in the freezing wind! Although I think we did look funny walking around in matching Cinque Terre shirts! (Luckily it did warm up considerably throughout the day)

photo 2.PNG

photo 1-27

Being by the ocean, there’s also lots of amazing, fresh seafood so if you’re a seafood lover like me, its hard to pass up all the great places they have to offer here. One of my favourites was at this place called Batti Batti in Vernazza, that sold an assortment of seafood in a large cone. Yummy!

photo 4-2

Of course, you can find gelato shops everywhere too!

photo 4-19

Anyway, here’s some more lovely photos of Cinque Terre. Some of the pics look very Italian, don’t they? (even the cat looks so Italian!)

photo 1-25

photo 3-200

photo 1-20

photo 3-12

photo 2-20

photo 3-14

photo 5-2000

Have you guys been to Cinque Terre? Do you have a favourite village? What did you guys love about the place?

Pauline June 3, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Those are gorgeous pictures, Michelle! When we were in Florence several years ago, we had the option of going to Cinque Terre or going to Pisa/Sienna/Tuscany in general. We chose the latter because we were more familiar with those. Looking through your pictures, I’m beginning to think we should have chosen the former… huff. More reasons to go back to Italy then!

Michelle Michelle June 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Awww yea I really hope you make it back there and go to Cinque Terre! It’s one of the prettiest places I’ve ever been to! And yes, def a good excuse to go back to Italy! 😀

Rika | Cubicle Throwdown June 3, 2014 at 9:42 pm

SO pretty – I totally had Cinque Terre pinned on Pinterest :)

Michelle Michelle June 9, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Good idea!! There’s tons of amazing photos of CT…I couldn’t stop looking at them before I went there! 😛

Davide June 4, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Beautiful pictures Michelle; I went there a few years ago and I absolutely loved it! I can’t pick a favourite village, I liked them all!

Michelle Michelle June 9, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Yes the competition is pretty high 😛 I honestly can’t choose either! Although for the best view, I’d go with Manarola :)

Rick June 5, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Very pleasant read and lovely pictures!
And hey, those t-shirts ain’t too bad 😉

Michelle Michelle June 9, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Haha yes, they make good souvenirs and super comfy to wear around the house since they’re bio-cotton. At 6 euros each, they’re a steal! 😀

Mike June 7, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Michelle, this absolutely rocks! I had put Cinque Terre on my bucket list before your post and you only confirmed my desire to visit there. We are always so proud of you and hope that is all right and perfect and well in your life. Please be safe always! Your friends, Mike and Phoenix :)

Michelle Michelle June 9, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Good to see you back Mike! 😀 Really hope you (and Phoenix!) get a chance to visit here! It’s one of the coolest places I’ve been to in Europe!

Hitch-Hikers Handbook July 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Stunning place and lovely photos, Michelle!
If you like photography we would like to invite you to participate in the next edition of our Travel Photography Competition. Every week we publish 3 winning shots on our website and write a nice bio with a link to the photographers’ websites/FB/G+/Flickr pages etc.
Find more details here: http://hitchhikershandbook.com/your-contributions/travel-photography/
Have a great weekend!

Michelle Michelle July 8, 2014 at 10:16 am

That sounds like a great contest! Thanks so much for inviting me! I’ll have a look 😀

Umesh Kumar September 23, 2014 at 11:45 am

Very nice article.

Anne April 18, 2015 at 10:28 am

Great pics and story! I totally agree with you that cinque terre is so picture perfect that it is worth a visit there! Did you go there in summer? I was there in winter and it seemed like any season is perfect for cinque terre! I must say it is a tough choice betwen rommagiore and monarola as the most beautiful village among all 5 villages! Vernazza comes close too!