My trip to Herceg Novi and some fun facts about Montenegro!

by Michelle on August 12, 2014 · 9 comments

photo 3-18

When I was in Dubrovnik, the closeness of Bosnia and Montenegro was too tempting for me not to go visit one of these countries, and check another country off my European bucket list. I decided on Montenegro because Herceg Novi looked like a cute little coastal town.

There are coach buses you can buy at the Dubrovnik coach station directly to Herceg Novi. While the trip itself is only about an hour, because Montenegro isn’t part of the EU (yet!), be prepared for multiple passport checks!

Herceg Novi is also really small (you can walk the entire “city centre” in about 10 minutes), but at the same time, it is a cute little place with a beach. Me and the bf only took a day trip here, but that’s plenty of time to see everything Herceg Novi has to offer. If we had more time, I would’ve loved to continue traveling onto Kotor, but well, that’ll be for another adventure!

Now on to some pictures and some fun facts about Monetenegro!

photo 1-33

One thing we didn’t know until we got there is that they use the euro!

The name Montenegro comes from the Italian translation of Monte Negro, which means “black mountain” (I didn’t see a single black mountain though!)

photo 4-22

Montenegro has 117 beaches along the coast…no wonder it’s slowly becoming a popular vacation hotspot! Currently, about 1.2 million people travel to Montenegro every year.

photo 5-16

It’s a relatively new country as they only declared their independence in 2006!

photo 2-32

Their official languages are Serbian, Bosnian, Albanian and Croatian.

photo 3-19

It’s home to about 600,000 people.

Have you guys been to Montenegro? What did you guys think of this relatively new country?

Meiji August 12, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Really beautiful!! This part of Europe has always fascinated me as well! I hope I can visit Montenegro someday!

Michelle Michelle August 13, 2014 at 3:28 pm

I hope you do! It’s a cute country!

Mike August 12, 2014 at 10:49 pm

This is absolutely brilliant and exactly what I want to do on my 2nd trip to Europe. I’ve already told you that my #1 bucket list trip will be Germany along with some of the alpine countries. But, the next time you nailed spot on! Go to a country with traveling to nearby countries as side stops! But, oh yikes Michelle, I still have a lot to learn as to how all of this will work. Trust me, you will be on my list of contacts to look up to get input ahead of time! And btw…Montenegro is beautiful and did you ever find out why they call them “black mountains”? Hey, you didn’t include a pic of food!! I rely on you for that, our foodie friend! :)

Michelle Michelle August 13, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Yes, one trip to Europe is definitely not enough! :) Can’t wait for you to go and experience it all yourself! Haha and no didn’t find out about the black mountains part…maybe they exist in other parts of the country that I didn’t go to 😛 I did have some food there but it was actually pretty boring so I decided that it wasn’t worth posting about haha. I’m back in Canada for the summer though, so expect some food posts coming up soon! :)

Ivana September 15, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Hello Mike, Hello Michelle,

I’m a Montenegrin native and I couldn’t help but notice some misinformation regarding my country and at the same time I wanted to add some color to the name “Black Mountain” or “Crna Gora”.
The name comes from the 13th century (which also tells you that the country isn’t that young and its name, as well as size, has been changed a couple of times throughout history) from old Slavic, meaning “full of mountains”. Later in history, Venetians translated the name to Italian “Montenegro” or “Black Mountain” which became widely spread and stayed that way.
The official language of Montenegro is actually Montenegrin which is slightly different from Serbian in dialect (think British English and American English). I certainly wouldn’t say that Bosnian, Albanian and Croatian are official languages there. Yes, there’s people from those countries living in Montenegro and speaking those languages but that shouldn’t put them in a category of “official languages”.
Montenegro is a truly beautiful place to visit and next time you go you should definitely visit Mountains Lovcen and Durmitor, as well as go rafting on river Tara (the deepest river canyon in Europe), and so many more places that will take your breath away. :)

All the best,
Ivana

Emma August 13, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Montenegro is absolutely beautiful, we were there last month. Although I didn’t like Budva, it was full of tourists who thought that it was acceptable to leave cigarette butts all over the beach :(

Michelle Michelle August 22, 2014 at 5:06 am

Aww that’s horrible! I hate it when others ruin things like that for others. I went there from Dubrovnik, and thought it was nice to go from somewhere so touristy to a little place that was quiet and full of locals :)

Agness August 13, 2014 at 4:52 pm

What!? Montenegro has 117 beaches along the coast. Added to my bucket list!!

Michelle Michelle August 22, 2014 at 5:07 am

Yes, so impressive for a tiny country isn’t it? :)